Monday 8 March 2010

Initial Thoughts

I am initially drawn to the idea of involving the wearers senses into my designs through live or previous interaction with their sound or movement for example, and the fabric. Maybe the way the fabric is cut could depend on the mood at the present time.

As a language is 'seen as a particular kind of system for encoding and decoding information,' I looked up the definitions of encode and decode,

ENCODE
–verb (used with object)
to convert (a message, information, etc.) into code.


DECODE
–verb (used with object)
1. to translate (data or a message) from a code into the original language or form.
2. to extract meaning from (spoken or written symbols).
3. Television. to unscramble (an electronic signal) so as to provide a video picture for cable subscribers.


From these definitions, it led me to think about how we also use our senses through language and other communication methods such as:

  • braille (touch)
  • sign language (sight)
  • the morse code (sound and often sight of signals)

These methods of communiction are all a form of encoding and decoding information as the message is turned into a code by the sender and once again turned back into the message by the receiver.

I've been advised by my tutor to visit the 'Decode: Digital Design Sensation' exhibition at the V&A museum in London. As my initial thoughts are very vague at the minute, before I can develop them any further I feel I need to see this exhibition for myself as it is split up in sections named, CODE, INTERACTIVITY and NETWORK and I am hopeful that this will help expand my ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment