Monday 15 March 2010

Laser Cutting... MARK LIU

After the pattern cutting workshop last week, I've been thinking about how I can use creative pattern cutting in my designs in an innovative way. Following on from laser cutting ideas, I came across designer Mark Liu.


Liu's collection works on the concept of 'Brinkmanship' and uses a technique of cutting the fabric in order to use every last area of it and not a scrap is wasted.

Brinkmanship
-noun
the practice of pushing a dangerous situation to the verge of disaster in order to achieve the most advantageous outcome

The fabric is cut using laser cutting technology and the edges of the pieces are cut to follow lines of the prints which are inspired by a lifestyle of danger and extreme luxury. The pattern pieces are then stitched together along their original construction lines and the excess fabric become outside seams that look a lot like lace.



I really like this innovative way of thinking and it's made me think that there are a lot of boundaries that can be pushed when designing with the aid of laser cutting technology.


Could I create edges that follow the shapes and contours of sign language letters?
Could the edges simply create a message by laser cutting letters into the excess fabric beyond the seam allowance?

No comments:

Post a Comment